Welcome to Room 121

Saturday, September 6, 2014

THIS WEEK: Monday, September 8 - Sunday, September 14, 2014

What a great first week we had in Room 205. When the dust settled, we ended up with 28 truly awesome students who did a great job of learning routines and expectations. It definitely is going to be a great year.

DATES TO REMEMBER:
(DATE CHANGE) October 2  - Grade 6 immunization

Thursday, September 18 - HSCC BBQ and School Open House (I am looking forward to meeting you. I will be holding two sessions - 1 at 6:00 and another at 6:30)

Friday, September 19 - School photos will be taken

THIS WEEK'S MATH: 
We will continue working in our Interactive Math Journals this week, but we will also be starting the lessons from the textbook.  I have prepared videos to go along with the lessons that the students can view to preview the lesson beforehand and/or to provide extra support if needed.  These videos can be accessed through the Math Support link found in the menu bar on the right hand side of this page. --------------------------------------->

This week in Math, we will be working on 1.1 'Input/Output Machines' (video). 


NOTES: We will be starting a photo project on Monday, and we will be using the FREE app Shutterfly Photo Story. If your son or daughter is using their own iPad at school, would you please ask them to download this app for Monday? If they go to the app store and search 'Shutterfly Photo Story,' it should come up. It looks like this:



On the note of apps that we are using, I try to use as many free apps as I can, and I will try to let the students know of these in advance, so they can have them downloaded and ready to go. When it comes to the paid apps we use, I always make these 'optional' for students with their own technology. If there is a 'free' app that is similar, I will let them know, and if not, I will provide them with a school iPad or partner them up with another student who has the app if you choose not to allow them to buy it. 

Most of the paid apps we use are fairly inexpensive, but there are a few that we use on a VERY regular basis that are not so inexpensive. Two of these that we have already started to use or will be using this week are:
1) iCardSort ($9.99) - we use this several days a week for our PWIM (This is the program I use for vocabulary development, spelling, grammar), and this continues all year long.


2) Smart Notebook ($6.99) - we use this app pretty much every day. I have prepared SmartBoard lessons for every one of our Math lessons, and along with the teaching file, I have also prepared student files using this app. This helps to make the Math lessons more 'hands on' for all the students.

Both of the above apps are used in more than one subject area, but I have chosen the area where it is used the most to explain it to you. As I have already said above, these are most definitely optional apps, and if you choose not to spend the money to buy them, I can certainly understand as they are both fairly costly. I will ensure that no student is left out when we are using these apps. 

ONLINE ASSIGNMENTS:
This week I will be introducing the students to two of the online assignment sites that we will be using this year. There will be no 'required' lessons this week, as we will just be learning how these sites work, but in the future I will be assigning lessons each week. I do give the students some class time, but quite often the students also need to spend some time working at home in order to get the lessons done. The lessons are due Sunday evenings unless stated otherwise. If the students would like to have a look at the two sites we will be going into this week, they can use the links below. I would prefer that they not try to start the lessons until I have had an opportunity to work with them, but they might like to take a look. They should be able to figure out how to login, as I explained to them last week how I set their logins up and that all logins are the same. 

TYPING WEB:

Conceptua Math:
REMEMBER: when you are logging in, the 'customer name' is my email - jporritt@accesscomm.ca

Have a great week!